Why You Should Join
As a member, your voice is critical to the success of Manitoba’s restaurant and food services community. Your membership investment provides you with opportunities to:
- Network and develop meaningful relationships with suppliers, industry leaders and your peers.
- Meet and be mentored by people in the know.
- Attend useful and topical information seminars and workshops.
- Access industry leading business-building tools.
- Take advantage of special members-only pricing on products and services that can save you time and money.
- Stay on top of industry trends and issues.
- Ensure that your voice is heard on policy/political concerns and priorities that have the potential to impact your business and our industry in general.
Member Benefit Programs
The MRFA can assist you in improving your bottom line through its various exclusive-to-member benefit programs. Stay tuned to our Member Benefits page for new and exciting member benefit announcements throughout the course of the year!
- NEW! – Provincial Food Handler’s Certification Program discounts offered by the Manitoba Tourism Education Council (training and exam challenging).
- NEW! – As a member you qualify for a RestaurantOwner.com membership at a special rate of $199 (US) per year (a savings of $100 off the regular annual rate).
- Free inclusion in MRFA’s member directory, the go-to member to member connection resource available online or in print.
- Member discounts from Carlyle Printers, Service & Supplies through the MRFA Buying Group Program.
- Free subscription to Western Restaurant News courtesy of Mercury Publications.
- Payworks payroll run discounts.
- Contractor pricing for building supplies at RONA.
- A 5% discount on all unlisted wines at G.J. Andrews Food and Wine Shoppe for all licensed members.
- Restaurant specific incentives through Manitoba Hydro’s Power Smart for business program for installation of equipment such as high-efficiency gas fryers and electric or gas steam cookers.
- Chase Paymentech meets one on one with MRFA members to discuss, assess and identify credit and debit card processing requirements and offer competitive individualized solutions.
LocalFare, MRFA’s Signature Restaurant Industry Magazine
Your membership assures you of preferred advertising access and pricing to LocalFare, MRFA’s acclaimed publication that promotes Manitoba dining opportunities and experiences. Available in hard and electronic copy, LocalFare is delivered directly to over 40,000 homes throughout Manitoba. In addition it is also distributed by our partners including the Winnipeg Free Press, Travel Manitoba, Tourism Winnipeg, Manitoba border crossing as well as hotels and restaurants throughout the province. The publication is produced in partnership with Del Communications.
Information, Trade and Networking Events
The MRFA is responsible for numerous member events during the course of the year including a signature industry trade show held in partnership with the Manitoba Hotel Association. The MRFA stages an annual golf tournament that attracts restaurant owners, managers, suppliers and service providers for a day of productive fun.
The MRFA will be introducing a number of seminars and workshops in 2018 with our industry partners. These members-only events will cover such topics as restaurant finance, strategies for restaurants and businesses to capitalize on Manitoba’s tourism industry, digital security, and multiple sessions that focus on enhancing product knowledge.
Access to a Wealth of Information
Through its various communications vehicles, your membership investment in the MRFA opens your doors to a wealth of information ranging from legislation to new business initiatives and industry trends.
We produce a monthly electronic newsletter that is sent to all our members. The newsletter covers topics of interest to the restaurant industry as well as an accounting of what we’ve been involved with over the past month. The MRFA also sends out relevant e-blasts to all members on relevant issues or alerts affecting our industry.
We promote and protect industry interests and practices by monitoring legislative processes and advocating for policies that support our industry. High labour costs, increased exposure to liability and low profit margins in a highly competitive environment leave restaurateurs particularly vulnerable to bad public policy. By working and communicating with elected and senior government officials on a regular basis, the MRFA strives to ensure our industry is represented on all major issues affecting our industry. We are continually advancing concerns and seeking positive assurances and policy solutions from legislators including:
- Lobbying to ensure minimum wage increases are reasonable and market driven.
- Defining and limiting employer exposure and liability associated with the legalization of cannabis.
- Involving our industry when identifying opportunities associated with the anticipated introduction of cannabis edibles.
- Seeking clarity and balance related to the implementation of Manitoba’s new accessibility laws (introduction set for November 2018).
- The provision of uninterrupted repacking services for licensees from Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries (2018 and beyond).